Lessons taught

Most of what I know, or what I know and apply most often, I have learned from sources outside of school. For instance, I learned to be accepting of all people right away. One my best friends as a youngin' had the largest collection of My Little Pet Shops and was the first to expose me to Destiny's Child. He was adopted from Russia and was the most outrageous person I knew. A few years ago he came out via Facebook. When people say that being gay is a choice, I have to wonder if my 4 year old friend sat down one day and thought to himself "you know what, just to spite the whole world I am going to play with Barbies and one day I am going to love another boy." But for more academic things, I have learned from basic children's books, Leapfrog video games, children's museums, and other such things. All of which I did when I was under the age of 10. Our first years as humans is when our brains run the freest; for we have not been taught to confine ourselves into the box of society. This is the time to learn the things that will stick with us the longest.

I believe that U.S citizens, more specifically the upcoming generations, have trouble with math because of the technology available to us. Yes, technology has many advantages. And yes, I did and do credit a majority of my learning to said technology. However, there are 10 year-old kids out there with iPhones and their own computers. They are more concerned about their failing "relationship" and about what Justin Bieber just said on Twitter than if they won four square or whether they could think up a new color. The types of things that crossed my mind. Children are filling their fresh brains with useless information rather than exploring the world. This is what I blame for our poor education in this country.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author